AMPK, or adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase, is crucial to maintaining cellular energy homeostasis. It was first discovered in the 1980s by researchers D. Grahame Hardie and David Carling. This enzyme regulates metabolism and significantly impacts longevity and overall health.
The importance of AMPK lies in its ability to sense and respond to changes in cellular energy levels. When activated, AMPK promotes processes that generate energy, such as glucose uptake and fatty acid oxidation, while inhibiting energy-consuming processes, such as protein synthesis and cell growth. This balance ensures cells have enough energy to function optimally, supporting overall health and longevity.
Increasing AMPK activity is associated with improved health and lifespan, as it helps balance energy production and consumption. This is closely related to the mTOR pathway, which promotes cell growth and proliferation. Ideally, mTOR should be activated only when necessary, such as for healing and retaining muscle mass. AMPK and mTOR function like a seesaw, with AMPK activation promoting cellular repair and maintenance while limiting mTOR activation.
Watch this video that explains what AMPK is, its association with longevity, and its benefits.
To increase AMPK activity, consider implementing the following protocols and supplements:
- Caloric restriction or fasting
- Regular exercise
- Consuming foods rich in polyphenols, such as berries and green tea
- Supplements are known to activate AMPK: metformin, resveratrol, berberine, and quercetin
Notable researchers in the field of AMPK and longevity include:
- D. Grahame Hardie: Discovered AMPK and its functions in cellular energy regulation
- David Sinclair: Researches aging, cellular metabolism, and AMPK activation
- Valter Longo: Studies the effects of fasting and calorie restriction on AMPK activation and longevity
Books discussing AMPK and its relation to longevity are:
- “Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don’t Have To” by David Sinclair (2019): This book explores the science of aging, including the roles of AMPK and mTOR in promoting health and longevity.
- “The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight” by Valter Longo (2018): This book outlines dietary strategies to activate AMPK and promote longevity through stem cell activation and regeneration.