Table of Contents
- Adverse Effects of Taking Spermidine
- Spermidine Supplement Dosage and Administration
- What is my Spermidine Supplement Protocol?
- Who should Avoid Taking a Spermidine Supplement?
- Food Sources of Spermidine
- Well Known Researchers, Longevity Experts and Biohackers and their Spermidine Protocol
- Longevity FAQ’s Recommended Spermidine Supplement Brands
Today we take a closer look at Spermidine and its use use as a supplement for anti-ageing and longevity, focusing on what are its benefits to general health and anti-aging, who should and should not be taking this supplement food sources that should be increased for a natural boost as well as the spermidine supplements that make it onto the Longevity FAQ list of recommended supplements.
Spermidine is a polyamine compound found in many foods, including wheat germ, soybeans, legumes and nuts. It’s also present in certain animal proteins, such as fish, poultry and eggs. Like many other molicles that are needed for healty life, the levels of spermidine in our bodies decline gradually as we age.
Spermidine has been studied extensively for its potential health benefits. Research indicates that it may help reduce inflammation, support heart health and even extend lifespan. Here is a closer look at the potential benefits of taking a spermidine supplement.
- Inflammation: Spermidine has been found to reduce inflammation in a number of studies. It does this by decreasing the production of pro-inflammatory molecules, such as interleukin-6 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha. It also decreases the activity of certain enzymes that promote inflammation.
- Heart Health: Spermidine may help protect against heart disease by reducing inflammation, improving blood flow and reducing cholesterol levels. It may also help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of blood clots.
- Lifespan: Research suggests that taking a spermidine supplement may help extend lifespan. This is mainly due to its anti-inflammatory effects, which help protect against age-related diseases.
- Inducer of Autophagy, which is the process the body uses to get rid of damaged cells and is linked to cancer prevention and maintenance of healthy cells. Natural autophagy decrease over time and boosting it back to youthful levels
- Improved Hair and Growth, research shows that spermidine supplementation increases the life of hair follicles the during the hair growth phase, which results in more and thicker head of hair.
Adverse Effects of Taking Spermidine
Generally, Spermidine is well tolerated however with many studies conducented into safety and none of them reporting any side effects however as with any supplement consumption everyone is different so you should pause taking spermidine and consult a medical professional if you notice any side effects.
As spermidine does have some positive effects of health such as improving heart heath i.e. blood presure and inflamation if you are taking medication to treat such conditions you should consult a doctor and keep an eye on your numbers medications may need to be adjusted.
In addition, spermidine supplements can affect certain lab test results. If you are having any type of lab work done, it is important to let your doctor know that you are taking a spermidine supplement.
Spermidine Supplement Dosage and Administration
The optimal dosage and administration of spermidine supplements is still up for debate. Generally, most studies suggest supplementing with a daily dose of at least 200mg of spermidine. However, due to the fact that everyone’s body chemistry is different, the ideal dosage could differ from person to person. Therefore, the best way to determine the optimal dosage for you is by experimenting with different doses and observing the results.
When supplementing with spermidine, it is important to ensure that you are taking a high-quality supplement that contains pure and bioavailable spermidine. Additionally, it is important to maintain consistency with your supplementation schedule. To maximize the effects of spermidine, it is recommended to take the supplement every day at the same time, ideally with meals that are high in protein.
In addition to supplementing with spermidine, it is important to make sure that your diet is rich in other nutrients that support cellular health, such as polyphenols, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins. These nutrients along with spermidine all work together to support cellular health and promote longevity.
What is my Spermidine Supplement Protocol?
From the research I have done Its recommended that spermidine is taken after a high protein meal as I do intermittent fasting and most days only have one meal dinner, I take a single 8mg tablet of DoNotAge Pure Spermidine between dinner and bed.
DoNotAge recently revamped their Pure Spermidine supplement making it gluten free and at the same time increasing the active spermidine amount in their capsule from 4mg to 8mg so I was previously taking 2 tablets between dinner and bed but have now switched to a single tablet.
You can read my full Supplement protocol on this Facebook group post (welcome to join the community if you are not already a member)
Who should Avoid Taking a Spermidine Supplement?
Spermidine supplements can be a powerful and beneficial tool for improving overall health and longevity, but there are some individuals who should not take them:
- Pregnant women should avoid taking spermidine supplements, as there is not enough evidence about the safety of spermidine for pregnant women and their unborn babies. Additionally, individuals with allergies to spermidine should avoid taking supplements, as it may increase their risk of an allergic reaction.
- People with liver or kidney disease may want to speak with their doctor before taking spermidine supplements, as these conditions can make it more difficult for the body to process and excrete the supplement. This could lead to buildup of the supplement in the body, which could cause side effects.
- People taking certain medications should talk to their doctor before beginning a spermidine supplement. Some medications, including blood preasure, blood thinners, chemotherapy drugs and antibiotics, can interact with spermidine and cause negative side effects.
Food Sources of Spermidine
Spermidine is found in various natural food sources including some fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains, nuts and seeds.
- Fruits like apples, oranges and grapes are particularly rich sources
- Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.
- Legumes, such as chickpeas, lentils and beans are also good sources
- Grains like wheat, oats and barley
- Nuts including almonds, walnuts and peanuts.
- Seeds – sunflower, flax and pumpkin.
In addition to these whole foods spermidine is also found in fermented products like sauerkraut, kimchi and miso.
When taken as a supplement it is important to understand how it is being sourced and processed as this can affect its efficacy.
Overall there are many natural food sources of spermidine that can be incorporated into the diet. Eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains, nuts and seeds can help to ensure that spermidine is being consumed on a regular basis.
Well Known Researchers, Longevity Experts and Biohackers and their Spermidine Protocol
Several well-known researchers, longevity experts and biohackers have publicly stated that they take a spermidine supplement here is a list of them with links to their supplement stacks:
Longevity FAQ’s Recommended Spermidine Supplement Brands
If you are a long time reader of Longevity FAQ or a member of our Facebook community Longevity Anti Aging Tips – NMN, Resveratrol, David Sinclair Lifespan (welcome to join if you are not a member) you will know that many of the supplements I purchase are from DoNotAge, but for a balanced view I will also provide other Spermidine supplement brands that trust.
DoNotAge Pure Spermidine
DoNotAge Pure Spermidine supplement is one of the most potent spermidine supplments on the market with a massive 8 mg per capsule which is gluten free. DNA Pure Spermidine comes in either a 60 or 366 capsule pack.
In addition to being one of the most potent supplements on the market its also one of the cheapest as of the writing of this post the cost was US $49 for 60 capsules or US $290 for a 366 capsule pack. Saving even more with an anual subscription, however this not for everyone especially if you are trying the supplementn for the first time.
Regardless of if you place a single order of go on subscription the final price will come down even futher (10% less) when you use the coupon code:
LONGEVITYFAQ (click to copy code) this code is reserved for readers of Longevity FAQ and members of our Facebook community group: DoNotAge Pure Spermidine Product Page
Double Wood Spermidine 5mg Capsules
Another quality Spermidine brand is Double Wood, a single capsule comes packed with a generous 5mg dose of Spermidine
If you are following the protocol of many longevity experts you would need to take 2 capsules daily after a high protean meal, personally I take spermidine after dinner but before going to bed.
Like the DoNotAge Spermidine supplement the Double Wood supplement is Gluten free.
As of the writing of this article the price is US $49.95 for a 120 capsule pack which become cheaper on subscription or if you purchase a multi bottle pack.
- Madeo F, Carmona-Gutierrez D, Kepp O, Kroemer G. Spermidine delays aging in humans. Aging (Albany NY). 2018 Aug 6;10(8):2209-2211. doi: 10.18632/aging.101517. PMID: 30082504; PMCID: PMC6128428.
- Madeo F, Bauer MA, Carmona-Gutierrez D, Kroemer G. Spermidine: a physiological autophagy inducer acting as an anti-aging vitamin in humans? Autophagy. 2019 Jan;15(1):165-168. doi: 10.1080/15548627.2018.1530929. Epub 2018 Oct 11. PMID: 30306826; PMCID: PMC6287690.
- Ni YQ, Liu YS. New Insights into the Roles and Mechanisms of Spermidine in Aging and Age-Related Diseases. Aging Dis. 2021 Dec 1;12(8):1948-1963. doi: 10.14336/AD.2021.0603. PMID: 34881079; PMCID: PMC8612618.